Time keeps passing, and it seems to be speeding up no matter how old you are! Birthdays seem to come around way to often and with each one we feel a little older but hopefully a little wiser. Our bodies keep changing, we feel a few more niggly bits, but that doesn’t mean you need to slow down. Quite the contrary, it’s time to GET MOVING.
Age is a state of mind and like most things brain related we can stay in control. Our thought patterns play a major part in our feelings, emotions and wellbeing. When you slow down because you are getting older and maybe it’s a little harder to get going in the morning guess what will happen – expect a big slap from the old age stick! How many of your friends complain about how they feel and their long list of ailments and why they need to “take it easy”. Time for new friends!
Find someone who shares your ideals on fitness and health. There will be days when you have aches and pains, it’s all part of the “maturing” process. But it’s no excuse to sit and dwell, get up, get out and get moving. Walking, swimming, cycling and strength training are all great fun regardless of your age. Just get the right advice on where to start and you will be on your way.
Regardless of your age you can remain active and enthusiastic about life. Here are your 5 Golden Rules of Ageing:
- Stay active. Lots of exercise and activity will keep your heart, lungs, muscles and bones in good shape.
- Eat well. You can have the occasional indulgence but try to ensure you are eating healthy MOST of the time.
- Drink lots of water and keep alcohol to a minimum. Our bodies cannot function properly without adequate water so keep everything sharp by staying hydrated.
- Make sure that you are getting good quality sleep and try to keep regular bed times as it maintains good habits.
- Stay connected. Stay close to family and friends. A sense of belonging and community is really important for our wellbeing and isolation is proven to be a trigger for depression and illness.